Wow Week 8 (Feb 28 – Mar 6)

This week’s WoW was inspired by a short film “#tresdancing” by Queen’s University. This short film displayed the use of surveillance-oriented technology and strategies to enhance student’s educational skillsets. However, I was very surprised to see the openness and intensity of technology use. For example, the student was taking an at-home exam with surveilling technology and was disqualified from the examination due to background noise. This is a factor that is not in the student’s immediate control. Therefore, I don’t believe they should be getting punished for it. I also wonder, what privacy rules would be put in place for a tool like smart glasses. I don’t believe an educational tool should be dictating a student’s personal life choices. It seems like a good concept. However, I believe it should be executed differently. Furthermore, this makes me wonder how the technology is able to make these suggestions? What data is used to come to these conclusions and how often is it getting updated? How do we know something is wrong or right? And what if in some context it is ok and others it is? 

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUivOlVpcWA&feature=youtu.be